To better protect your personal and sensitive files, Microsoft added a brand new feature in OneDrive called Personal Vault. Adopt these measures to allow and setup the Personal Vault in OneDirve.
What's OneDrive Personal Vault?
OneDrive personal vault is really a dedicated folder in inside your OneDrive account and it is protected with extra security and encryption. The vault can be used to store your sensitive documents along with other files. Personal vault adds an additional layer of security utilizing a second identity verification process like OTP, fingerprint, PIN, facial recognition, etc.
Once you create the personal vault, every time you open it up, you have to identify yourself by having an additional verification step, even if you are logged into OneDrive.
Since the personal vault is much like any other folder in OneDrive, albeit with additional security, it may be synced with Windows 10, Android app, and iOS app. As you can guess, many of the helpful for desktop users. You'll have instant access to some protected and encrypted folder where you can store your files without going through hoops to password-protect folder or hide a folder. With a single click, the files are locked away from prying eyes.
Steps to Setup OneDrive Personal Vault
Establishing the personal vault is fairly simple. Just stick to the steps you will have it very quickly.
1. First, log in for your OneDrive account. You will see a brand new folder called "Personal Vault". Double-click on it.
If you do not see the Personal Vault folder then it implies that the feature isn't rolled out for you. Microsoft has created the feature in waves. So, you will have access to it eventually.
2. You will notice a welcome screen. Click on the "Next" button to continue.
3. You'll be prompted to ensure yourself. Click on the "Verify" button and verify yourself.
4. That is it. You will get access to the Personal Vault. You can upload files to it like every other OneDrive folder.
Do note that as of penning this, the personal vault is limited to 3 files only. If you want to extend the limit, you have to subscribe to Office 365.
5. Once you are done using the personal vault, click on the "vault" icon appearing on the top-right corner after which select "Lock". That's it. Your files are secure and secure.
6. Like I said before, the private vault will also sync with your device. For example, if you open the OneDrive folder in Windows 10, you will notice the Personal Vault.
7. Double-click onto it, authenticate yourself and you will get access towards the vault. Exactly the same steps can be applied to Android and iOS apps. Once unlocked, you can include, remove, or modify as with normal OneDrive folders.
8. The folder will be auto-locked after Twenty minutes of inactivity. Alternatively, you are able to lock it by right-clicking onto it the vault and selecting the "Lock Personal Vault" option.
If you wish to disable Personal Vault, that can be done from the OneDrive website. Before disabling the private vault, move any files inside it. Next, click the Vault icon, select "Personal Vault Settings" after which click on the "Disable" link.
That's all. It's that easy to set up and access the private vault in OneDrive. Though the feature is limited to free users, it still is quite a neat accessory for OneDrive.